Convert our Nonna Maria’s basic pasta sauce into a thick meaty Bolognese.
Just add these few extra ingredients and steps and transform our basic pasta sauce recipe into a rich bolognese sauce.
- At step one of the basic sauce recipe add the Carrot and Celery and leave out the Basil
- After Onions are soft and translucent and Carrot and Celery have some colour.
- Add the mince, seasoning and Italian herbs. Continue to mix the mince around the pot to evenly brown, stirring whilst separating the mince to cook evenly. Reduce all meat liquid whilst stirring occasionally.
- Add red wine to deglaze the base of the pan and let simmer until alcohol has been cooked out.
- Continue from step 2 of the Basic Sauce Recipe
- Cook very gently for a minimum of 2 hours but can be up to 8 hours. Stir occasionally to ensure the sauce doesn’t stick.
- Once cooked you can add to your favourite pasta or save it for another day. Can be frozen.
Why we like it
Bolognese and Spaghetti.. match made in Heaven!
How we Eat It
We love our Bolognese served with Spiral pasta and loads of Calabrian Chilli!
Forestway's top 3 Tips
- Use quality ingredients
- Deglaze the pan for that extra flavour
- Give it all the time it needs to become rich and thick