The Ultimate Lasagne starts with the correct assembly and the secret touch.. the Béchamel Sauce!
Follow the steps below for the perfect Béchamel to and layering technique for our Lasagne. Look up our Sauce recipes to create a basic Napoletana Sauce and a Bolognese Sauce to create your Lasagne. Alternatively Let us do all the hard work for you and pick up all 3 Sauces in store and just assemble!
Great activity for the kids to get involved in cooking
For the Béchamel
- In a pot, add Milk, Onion, Cloves, Nutmeg, Salt and Pepper. Bring to a hot simmer and then remove from heat.
- Allow to sit for 20 – 30 min to enhance flavour and then strain.
- In a separate pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add Flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon for approx. 3 – 4 minutes to form a roux (a blonde thick sauce).
- Gradually add milk to the roux stirring continually
- Reduce heat and cook stirring continually for 4 – 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened to a nice consistency.
- Pour through a sieve to avoid any lumps
- Set aside for assembly
To Assemble Lasagne
- In a medium baking tray line the bottom of the tray with Napoletana sauce.
- Layer sheets of pasta until you cover the entire surface with a layer of pasta
- Layer Bolognese on top of the pasta spreading it evenly. It does not need to be too thick as you will be adding more layers
- Add a couple of ladles of the Béchamel sauce on top of the Bolognese
- Sprinkle cheese mix on top
- Add another pasta layer
- Continue using the same method until you reach the top of the tray.
- When you have reached what you think will be your last layer of pasta line the top layer with Napoletana sauce and a couple ladles of Béchamel followed by a sprinkling of cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 140 degrees for 20 – 30 min
Why we like it
Lasagne is a real crowd pleaser. Also great for when you are entertaining and want to prepare ahead of time
How we Eat It
Lasagne has been one of our Sunday lunch favourites.
We love it when it has that brown crusty top!
Pasquale's top 3 Tips
- Build your layers sparingly so as not to overload the layers making it too heavy
- Use good quality Mozzarella and Pecorino
- The crusty brown top makes all the difference!