Meaning ‘drowned’ in Italian, Affogato is a well known Italian coffee-based beverage or dessert, depending on how you look at it. It has been a staple beverage/dessert in our family and always enjoyed with immense pleasure, particularly during the summer months. The key is to use good quality coffee and ice cream. The rest is just a matter of scoop, pour, enjoy…
- Good quality vanilla ice cream
- A shot of espresso coffee
- Place one or two generous scoops of vanilla ice cream in a cup.
- Pour the espresso coffee over the top.
- Serve, eat and enjoy immediately.
Why we like it
It's perfect for when you can't decide between coffee or dessert. Plus, it is refreshing and can really hit the spot!
How we Eat It
We prefer it in its simple form, but there are variations that include adding a shot of liqueur, like Frangelico, or adding embellishments, like grated chocolate or a sprinkle of nuts.
Pasquale's top 3 Tips
- Use proper espresso coffee (not the percolated stuff).
- Don’t skimp on the ice cream.
- Serve in a large, wide rim cup to prevent drowning the ice cream so you can enjoy scoop fulls without making a mess!
Connoisseur Vanilla Ice cream
Find it at:
Vittoria Cinque Stelle
Find it at: